Restoration, Construction and More...

Archaeological Dig

Archaeological Dig:
Archaeology Professor David Small of Lehigh University has been working with teams of students and with important volunteers from  Emmaus on xcavations at the 1803 House.  Lehigh’s enterprise was not the first however, and due recognition must be given to Ryan Loughren who was a teacher at the local Seven Generations Charter School.  Ryan took several students to dig south of the kitchen and exposed important walls to a building which we are today exploring. For the past two years Lehigh students and Emmaus volunteers have been working to understand the buried walls behind the kitchen. They have currently excavated a small section of what was a larger building. What this building was is still undetermined. The best estimate to date is that it was a log cabin which was used by the builders of the 1803 House, before the house was built. See progress; 2019 Privy Project; 2019 East Penn Press Article

Restoration

Restoration of Windows: there has been four windows restored.  Before and after pictures coming soon. 

Restoration of Front Door and Kitchen Door: Over time the front and back kitchen door deteriorated along with the trim. Each will be preserved, restored and painted by Reed Harris Contractors. [before/After Pictures];

     

New "Buck Style" Fence Constructed by Jason Kleckner:
In 2014 Jason Kleckner Jr. approached The Friends of the 1803 House, to propose a community service project to satisfy requirements for the Eagle Scout rank. The west property line (along the railroad tracks) is now protected with an historic “Buck Style” fence. Jason and team constructed the buck fence based on archival evidence of livestock fences delineated in a drawing dated 1847 of the 1803 House property. Construction of one section of the fence; 

     

1803 House Church Baby"

     

During the American Revolution War, toys as well as Many other household supplies, were scarce.  Mothers mad dolls form the fathers handerchiefs give their children somethin got play with anytime.  The doll was fist called a "church doll" or "prayer doll" as it was used during hose very long church service and most importantly, if there were dropped, not a sound was heard. At the turn of the century, when the 1803 house was being built, these dolls were modified with lace, ribbon and dried flowers as these items were more available after the war.  The dolls made at that time were very similar to our "1803 House Church Baby".

Fall 2014 Newsletter
Spring 2014 Newsletter